Sunday, October 11, 2009

In the midst of a high school football game...

My wife and I went to one of the first varsity football games that our nephew was in and while the game itself was a very good game between Fenwick and Monroe in southwestern Ohio, I was very impressed with a little girl reading a book amidst all of the cheering and noise.  Nothing was interfering with her desire to read this book.  She was probably around ten years old and the book she was reading was about an inch thick. Now this is a Friday night, so obviously it was not a homework assignment for the next day, perhaps she had to do a book report over the weekend, who knows?

I just know that I could not get over how she tuned out an entire football crowd and just stood there reading the book for at least an entire quarter if not more of the game.  She changed positions a few times while standing, but kept her attention in reading of the book.

I wondered what she was reading and was really impressed with her desire to read like that.  I also thought of how she was going to grow up and be a scientist, doctor, lawyer, or even a president some day.

I have no idea who she was, but she definitely left an impression on me that I will remember the rest of my life.  We need more individuals like this to keep society strong and successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment